AWARDS AND COLOURS
This document encompasses all awards presented/recommended by the South African Power Flying Association.
A PROTEA COLOURS
- SAPFA will follow the prescribed selection criteria and recommend to the SA Sports Commission that Protea colours be awarded to the official team members that participate in a world rally or precision championship. The awarding of colours is at the discretion of the SA Sports Commission.
- No award will be made to reserve team members
- SAPFA will recommend the awarding of Protea colours to the team manager of a team as in 1) above, as well as the official coach.
- The selection of the team members for both Precision and Rally flying will be done at a qualifying South African Championships. These events will be open events with no qualifying requirements.
- The selection will by done by a selection committee of at least three (3) members as appointed by the Committee of the South African Power Flying Association and approved by the Aero Club of South Africa.
- The Precision Flying Championship will comprise two (2) navigation tests and four(4) landings. Two of the landings will be at the discretion of the Competition Director and the Chief Judge, taking into account the conditions during the event.
- The Rally Flying National Championship will comprise two (2) navigation tests and a minimum of two (2) scoring landings.
- In order to qualify for selection to the Protea team, the competitors would be required to first meet the provincial standard at one of three nominated qualifying local competitions and these would need to be flown in the “Open Class”.
- With the prior approval of the selectors, a previous Protea team may stand down from the Nationals to organise this event and still qualify for selection, provided they have shown current performance as per item 5.
- The selection committee can take other criteria into account in the selection of the team. More specifically past international performance, general past record and character and conduct at provincial, national and international events.
- The selection committee will give preference to any person that is classified as a Previously Disadvantaged Individual.
B AERO CLUB COLOURS
- AERO CLUB colours will be awarded by SAPFA to the reserve team members participating in a world championship that are not eligible for Protea colours in terms of paragraph 1 under eligibility for Protea colours.
- AERO CLUB colours will be awarded to the winning team in the President's Trophy Air Race provided there are at least fifty entrants.
- AERO CLUB colours will be awarded to the South African Champion in a sprint flying or other timed event. This award will only be awarded once the sport has been established.
- AERO CLUB colours will be awarded in the Administrator/Official category where the recipient has been involved as a judge, competition director or official in at least five international events. To be eligible the recipient must have been involved in flying as an administrator or official for at least ten years or the recipient must have been a chairman or responsible official of either a club, association or other flying body for at least ten years.
C PROVINCIAL COLOURS
- Provincial colours will be awarded to any competitor/team, in a SAPFA approved rally, precision or landing national or inter-provincial competition, that obtains 30% or less of the total maximum points. The total maximum points will be calculated on the basis of a score allocated to person/team that did not take off at all.
- Provincial colours will be awarded to the teams filling first, second and third place in the President's Trophy Air Race.
- Provincial colours will be awarded to a participant in a national sprint or other timed flying event provided he has been selected as a result of him having won a Provincial event where there are at least 3 competitors in the event.
- Provincial colours will be awarded in the Administrator/Official category where the recipient has been involved as a judge, competition director or official in at least ten national events.
D MARSHALL AWARDS
- A marshall officiating at a club, provincial or national event will be eligible for marshall wings provided that the marshall has completed the required theoretical training and having obtained a pass mark in the theoretical examination.
- A marshall will be eligible for silver marshall wings provided that the marshall is the holder of marshall wings and has officiated at a minimum of eight (8) provincial events and four (4) national events. A copy of the scoring system is attached.
- A marshall will be eligible for gold marshall wings provided that the marshall is the holder of silver marshall wings and has a detailed understanding of the organisation and running of a flying event. A copy of the scoring system is attached.
E OTHER AWARDS
- Based on nominations from SAPFA members the SAPFA committee will forward the names of deserving candidates for the various Aero Club awards (Gold Wings, Lewis Lang Trophy, SA Eagle Trophy, James Gililand Trophy, Dennis Jankelow Trophy and other special acknowledgements) to the Aero Club for consideration. The criteria for these awards will be as specified by the Aero Club.
- The SAPFA committee will maintain a register of awards made in the various categories The register will include the full name of the recipient, the award presented and the achievement of the recipient. In the case of awards that have technical requirements eg sprint records then the register will contain ratification that the rules were complied with.